Friday, 31 October 2008
About 6 weeks back I discovered the wonderful wonderful talent of Irene Tan who has a brilliant blog full of new and exciting techniques. I thought I would try a few out. I worked on this Lo for 6 days, and then before I had finished it Irene was chosen as a guest for Pencil Lines. Rather dispiriting for me she said in her interview that a LO takes her from 1.5 to 2 hours! I was still working on mine so I was a bit reluctant to share. I really am pleased with the result though so here it is for me to crow!
Basic Grey Obscure
Bo Bunny chipboard swirl
large flower from Dunelm
Ranger Glossy Accents
Small paper roses
Autumn Leaves stamps
White sukura suffle pen
Heidi Swap ghost hearts
Ginger cotton fabric
white embossing powder
Chocolate brown acylic paint
eyelets and brown fibres
Ranger distress ink Vintage photo
script background font
Journalling block (sorry it had no name on it)
Bear with me there was alot of work
Use a large square of scrap paper to make a mask to create large square frame with distress inks, remove mask and straighten/highlight edges by ruling and marking with black pen.
I turned the photo to B&W in order to enhance it a bit as it is a poor 1980's photo. I then stamped using stayzon and the AL swirly stamps and distressed edges with more of the vintage photo ink.
I used the chipboard swirl as a template for my sewing, and used the herringbone stitch shown on Irene's blog to 'fill in' with sewing floss, adding some seed beads as I went.
I readied the flower by taking it apart and only using three layers. I enhanced it using glossy accents to make faux water drops and to glue on sequins. Then I stamped some more of the AL swirls where I was going to position the flower. Once it was dry I attached the large flower in the middle of the swirls with a brad through the centre.
The hearts were matted onto brown fabric at the back and then on the front more of the AL stamps were stamped onto the hearts and then I doodled with the white suffle pen.
I inked the edges of the journal box and slipped under the corner of the photo.
Once the brown paint had dried on the wooden flowers I used a larger AL's stamp to emboss white swirls over the letters.
HUGS was made by printing out the letters onto spare paper, carefully cutting them out to leave a stencil of the work. I then used the stencil and more Vintage distressing ink to form the letters and then the large background script stamp over the stencil to decorate the title. I used the suffle pen to hand script the word love and to highlight some of the swirls by the flower with doodles.
Finally to add a little balance and to fill the corner space I added the fibre bow through two eyelets and to write my journalling.